October 12, 2018
Meet Anders, The Rockstar and Wannabe Astronaut...
25 Questions with Anders...
1. Who are you and what do you do at Tim Wendelboe?
I'm Anders, I work in the bar, deliver to customers and work in the roastery.
2. How long have you worked here?
3. Where do you come from?
I come from Voss, a small town in western Norway.
4. What did you study / where did you work before coming here?
I originally studied music in Oslo. I've worked as a freelance musician, but have in the last 4 years worked with food, coffee, beer & wine in our own café and shop in Voss, together with my girlfriend Hannah.
5. Do you remember what your first meeting / interview with Tim was like?
Both me and my girlfriend originally applied for the same job and had our interviews after each other. It was pretty strange going in after her, haha.
6. What is the best thing you love about the job?
Everyone is really committed to making the best experience possible for our customers, quality and consistency is always our main focus.
7. What is the most challenging?
Always being on top of our game and challenging yourself to be better every day. That said we have a great dialogue and everyone is very good at both giving and receiving constructive criticism.
8. How would you describe Tim Wendelboe (the company) in one word?
9. How would you describe Tim Wendelboe (the person) in one word?
10. What is your favourite type of coffee to drink?
I usually only drink black coffee, nothing beats a Kenyan on espresso or aeropress.
11. What is your next favourite beverage to drink?
In the summer, I always stop by on my days off for a Cold Kenyan. It´s juicy, refreshing and so fruity.
12. Coffee is best with…?
13. What is the funniest / most embarrassing moment you’ve had at work?
I dropped an espresso cup on the floor just after I started, the espresso shot out of the cup like a fountain, covering both me and my colleagues' white shirts and leaving me cleaning down the entire bar after. Don't tell Tim, haha.
14. What has been the most rewarding experience you’ve had at work?
When we have guests who aren't familiar with specialty coffee and we are able to give them an eye-opening experience. Also being able to learn from the best people in the industry is amazing.
15. What do you do in your spare time, when you're not working at Tim Wendelboe? Any special interests, hobbies, skills?
As mentioned, I often play music but I also love spending a whole day cooking or baking sour dough bread. I try to spend as much time outside as possible and spend most of winter in the famous "marka" with my dog Haaland and a pair of cross country skiis, or in the mountains in western norway with good friends and my splitboard.
16. If you weren’t working at Tim Wendelboe, what other career would you want to have?
17. What was your first ever impression of coffee?
I worked in a record store in Voss that also sold coffee when I was about 14-18. It was often pretty quiet in there and we used to make up new coffee drinks to make the time pass.
18. What does an average day look like for you at Tim Wendelboe?
It varies a lot and that's something that I really appreciate. Usually starts with some espresso though.
19. What does coffee mean to you?
Coffee is very integrated into Norwegian culture and has always been an important ritual during the day for me. It's the drink you serve to friends and family if they stop by, it's how I start every day, and also gives me a soaring headache if I don't drink it.
20. If you could travel to any one of our origin countries, which one would you pick?
I've heard a lot about how beautiful Yirgacheffe and Ethiopia is, but I would also love to visit Kenya. They are also great countries to learn more about drumming and music in general.
21. Filter or Espresso?
Filter at home, espresso at TW bar.
22. Fruity or Chocolaty?
23. Do you have any guilty pleasures when it comes to drinking coffee outside of Tim Wendelboe, or are you a diehard Tim Wendelboe coffee drinker only?
I love going to Supreme Roastworks and having some of their excellent drip coffee together with some nice pastries or a good sandwich. If I'm in the area, I also often stop by Java in St. Hanshaugen.
24. There is a Japanese word called “ikigai” which means, “the reason you get out of bed in the morning”, i.e. what inspires you in life. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
My dog needs to be walked before work and I usually need some coffee.
15. If you could have coffee with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
My girlfriend, Hannah! I love it when other people make me coffee and she is both an excellent barista and conversation partner.
That's it's and that's all for now! We hope you enjoyed getting to know a little bit more about Anders. If you wish to get to know more of the people behind the scenes here at Tim Wendelboe, stay tuned by following us on Instagram (@timwendelboe) and Facebook. We will notify you when the next team story is ready for you to enjoy with your cup of coffee...